Region: Sri Lanka
Puthumunmarchcholai is a village of 674 residents in Batticaloa, Sri Lanka is a war affected community that is still reeling from the impact of 30 years of civil war. Prime among this village’s goals in moving forward, is the passionate pursuit of education. The local area lacks a pre-school and one of the key action plans developed by the community centers on building a pre school that would double as a community center. Approximately 20 children from the community are expected to benefit and children from neighboring villages will be encouraged to join due to its proximity. The village hopes to run the project as a social enterprise to pay for teaching staff and fund basic resources for the school.
- Lack of preschool facilities
- Lack of a communal space for meetings.
- Current preschool teacher works on a voluntary basis.
- To seek NGO or Govt support to purchase materials so that the community can allocate land and build the structure.
- Voluntary labour from the community.
- For 2 women from the community to serve as preschool teachers (paid).
- To explore running other income generation activities when the school is out of session e.g. photocopying, selling mobile credit.
- Connecting the community with funders for building materials.
- Capacity building in project management.
- Training in Business development.
- Building Materials
- Capacity building in business management and teacher training.
- Community has received support in developing an action plan for the project.
- The foundation for the school has been laid and building has commenced.
- The Sri Lankan Govt has offered to fund the completion of the project (still under negotiation) and manage teacher training and
If you would like to donate educational books or materials for the pre-school please contact email@example.com